I have often thought that those who govern us have lost their minds, and now I am convinced. You may have heard of the sugary drink tax proposed by some government entities, but I honestly never thought something like this would happen in my own back yard.
A tax on “sugary drinks” is something one would only imagine happens in New York or the People’s Socialist Republic of California, but unfortunately it has proven to be an easy and profitable venture, therefore has picked up steam in other communities as well
The sugary beverage tax was adopted in Philadelphia recently and is gaining steam. Since its inception January 1, 2017 this new tax has created (as of the time of this writing) roughly 6 million dollars of additional revenue for the city of Philadelphia, each MONTH!
The liberal agenda will tell you that this is a tax to help people make better decisions regarding their drink choices and ultimately their health.
The informed American will say, Hogwash! This is yet another attack on America’s freedom. Why on earth would anyone believe the government has the best interest of its people when creating this tax?
Let me tell you what this tax is about:
1. It is an insult to every American, regardless of what beverage you choose to drink. This is yet another paper cut of the death of 1,000 cuts slicing into Americans right to personal freedom and liberty.
2. The government of Philadelphia is so strapped for cash, due to its mismanagement of other forms of government theft (i.e. Taxes) that they needed to create one more piece of legislation so they wouldn’t have to do any real work, i.e.tax reform.
3. The government agenda is no longer trying to hide their deception with their sugary drink tax. If the purpose is to tax Americans to force them to make better drink and health choices, why are diet drinks such as Diet Coke and various juices taxed?
Take a look at these data from the Mayor’s Operating Budget, City of Philadelphia 2017. I would suggest reading through this 117 page document, especially if you are a resident of Philadelphia. In fact if I were a resident of Philadelphia, I would want to take a look at some of these line items in detail and uncover what these general balance sheets do not tell.
Here are some interesting points I noticed as I skimmed this document.
- Section II, page 2
- Observe the Total General Revenue Fund. Notice anything interesting? The change in revenue from 2015 to 2016 is 5.16% and from 2016 to 2017 is 4%. Do you know anyone that has gotten a raise of 9% over the last two years? I do, the Mayor and government agencies of Philadelphia. When my expenses rise, I don’t have the luxury of simply robbing (taxing) people, I have to tighten the belt and sacrifice, I guess Mayor Kenney doesn’t understand this concept, or doesn’t care.
- Section II, Page 7
- Pension Obligation. An increase of greater than 11% in 2015-2016 and another 3% in 2016 – 2017. This is simply unsustainable and there is no end in sight. This is typical for most government agencies, as they have been robbing Peter to pay Paul and it is now catching up with them. This is not the fault of the pension recipient, but unfortunately, they will be hit the hardest when this system ultimately fails.
- Section II, Page 10
- Line 19 Sugary Drink Tax. The Mayor is estimating $48 million dollars of revenue for the city from this tax for the calendar year 2017. With a population of just over 1.5 million people, this is an additional tax of $30 per person, just for the right to drink just about anything other than water in the city of Philadelphia, including Diet Coke!
- Section II, Page 10
- Mayor Salary. This article reports that Mayor Kenney “collects one of the nations top 5 mayoral salaries.” Now we know where this sugary tax is going, pensions and the mayors salary.
The bottom line is that government and career politicians don’t have to lie anymore to get their agenda pushed through to rob us all of our liberty and freedoms. They have simply brainwashed enough people to outweigh those of us left with any common sense.
Historically I had been of the mindset that I am neutral in regards to these social taxes (tobacco, alcohol, lottery) because they do not affect me, but I have now seen the light, these career politicians are getting more bold and determined to push their socialist agenda on us all because they simply do not care, and we as Americans are helpless simply because we keep voting for them.
If anyone is wondering, I do not live in Philadelphia and I do not drink high sugar drinks. I seem to recall another drink tax a few years ago that caused a bit of an uproar as well…think Boston…..tea….